.

Walking That Tightwire Called "Friendliness"

Sometimes I never know how friendly to be with a guest. I try to read people as they come in. Maybe they want to be quiet and read the paper or a book while having breakfast. Maybe they want to know a little bit about the area. I try not to overstep my boundaries, but sometimes I go too far.

Take last week’s guests. Two very nice couples. Parents and their son and his wife. The father came in early for coffee and George and I enjoyed our morning talks with him.

I enjoyed talking with all of them but maybe a bit too much. After reading today's TripAdvisor review, I learned a few new spelling words. A five star review. Great! A nice title. Good! Our place is immaculate and comfortable with a good breakfast. Perfect!

And... friendly, gregarious. Wait, what? Oh, man, this is one of those moments I wish I had done better in English class. Well, they wrote it next to the word friendly, so it is probably a good thing. As I press the button "define" on my iPhone I am hoping it is something complimentary - "Fond of company, sociable." Phew.

But wait there's more - "perhaps even a bit garrulous."  Oh that can't be good! That just sounds insulting. As I press "define" once again, I just know this is going to be something I wish I wasn't - "Excessively talkative, especially on trivial matters." Ugh!!

Really? Oh my god, I am so going to keep quiet from now on. Sometimes when I feel a little too comfortable with people, maybe I do talk too much. But wait, he said WE were garrulous. Maybe it was George that talked too much! No, I'm sure it was me.


Oh well, for those future guests out there that find me quiet, reserved, keeping to myself... I'm not being unfriendly. I'm just trying to give you your space and not overstep my boundaries. I'm going to work at being somewhere in the middle - gregariously ungarrulous (yes, I know those aren't words!). And hopefully the next TripAdvisor review will be something like - friendly. That's it. Just friendly! With nothing next to it that I have to "define."





6 Responses
  1. Michael Grossman Says:

    I don't think he meant it in a bad way, but then again, no ones ever used either of those words when describing me.


  2. Hi Michael, well first, no one would use those words to describe you because well, um, "talkative" isn't really a word to describe you (well, that is until you get to know you :). And second, I don't know if garrulous can be taken in a positive way, lol, but maybe. "Excessively talkative especially on trivial matters." Yeah, no, he meant it in a negative way. Haha.


  3. Valarie Says:

    Tina, if you're not going to be gregarious, than you better be vivacious when we arrive in September. I want my innkeeper alive! Tee hee

    I know we (Scott, Valarie & Hank) can be tiresomely talkative, so we'll try to abate our garrulous behavior so that you can be a good innkeeper to your other guest.

    p.s. no reading between the lines, there are no lines (this is a white box!). Haha


  4. Jean Says:

    Too funny Tina -- We love you (both) just the way you are -- keep chatting!!


  5. Valarie, Lol! Looking forward to some gregarious chit chat with you guys! Lola misses Hank!


  6. Thank you Jean :)! We love you too!