.

You Called Us What???

What a fantastic couple of days. So many people were checking in and checking out commenting on our Trip Advisor reviews. "You really lived up to your reviews," "Everything we read about you was right." Etc.  I could listen to praise of our place all day long. But alas, that all came to a screeching halt at about 6 pm.

As they walked in, I felt an icy cold breeze brush across my skin. The husband's first words were the ultimate, all time dreaded words that I hate to hear. "Oh... you're... just a motel," as he looked around the lobby. What do you mean we are just a motel?? Really?? Does a motel feel like you are walking into someones living room?? Does a motel take so much care and effort in trying to make you feel like you are staying with a friend?? Does a motel give you such a nice breakfast??

Of course, I said none of that. I bit my tongue and said absolutely nothing. More afraid of not being able to stop once I started my diatribe.

I checked them in and off they went to their room. Of course, I knew it was only a matter of time before the lobby phone rang with some sort of problem. Oh, there it was. Earlier than expected. They were only in their room 7.6 seconds when the phone rang. "The TV remote doesn't work." I'll be right down. How come I knew that there would be no problem at all with the remote once I got there. As I pressed the buttons, the channels changed. "Oh, I guess I am going to have to stand in the exact spot you are standing in if I want to change channels," he said. No. Look. I can move around the room and be right where you are and it still works. See. Yes, I did say that as I walked around the room changing channels, turning the TV on and off and being a bit more dramatic than I needed to be.

As I gave him back the remote and walked out, he said to me "I hope I don't have to call you again!" Somehow I knew that was not to be. I hadn't even made it back to the lobby when the phone started ringing again. "The TV remote's not working again." Oh... my... God!!! On my way back, I swapped out remotes with another room hoping he would have better luck pressing the buttons with a different remote. As I gave him the new one, he asked me, "Where is your ice machine?" Ahhh... this was going to be a glorious 2 days. 

I'm sorry, we don't have an ice machine. But I can go get you an ice bucket. "Well I don't want it now. I want it right before I go to bed because I need to fill up my ice pack for...  blah, blah, blah," You lost me at "just a motel." 

The next morning as they walked in and I gave them a "Good Morning! Would either of you like a waffle?" I got no response or even a glance my way. They whispered to each other and without looking at me said, "Yes we will both take a waffle." I quickly made them their waffles and walked away knowing there would be no small talk. And after breakfast, no goodbye, no have a nice day, no acknowledgement of our presence.

And this was how it went for two days. Basically no acknowledgement but at least there were no more problems. I don't think they hated it here but who knows. They never officially checked out. Just got in their car and left the key in their room. Hmmm... Maybe they did hate it here. Because you know, we are... just a motel. Ugh!!






6 Responses
  1. Jean Says:

    Oh -- if only "we" (SGW) were there when they walked in and said you're just a motel!! As we say in Brooklyn, the noive!!! Love you guys.
    Jean


  2. Lol! Thanks Jean! Miss you guys!


  3. Suzanne Says:

    Take a deep breath and let it go...my friend and I stayed at your lovely Inn and we had a wonderful experience. We loved the way all the guest chatted at breakfast (we were there when some folks from Texas were there talking about shooting boars and armadillos on their ranch.) You were most helpful in helping us find our way around and we felt like we were guests at a friend's house. All good for us. Your Inn is awesome. Hope to see you both at the Harvest Festival this year although I am staying in Albany with some friends this year.
    Sincerely yours,
    Suzanne Spina


  4. Suzanne, Thanks and I hope to see you too at the Harvest Festival. If you are ever in this neck of the woods, I hope you will stay with us again.
    Take care,
    Tina


  5. Valarie Says:

    You can have this framed and mailed to him.

    Complainers change their complaints, but they never reduce the amount of time spent in complaining.
    ~Mason Cooley

    :) I can't wait to get to your INN for the second time this year.

    And may this be true for you . . .

    Statistics suggest that when customers complain, business owners and managers ought to get excited about it. The complaining customer represents a huge opportunity for more business.
    ~Zig Ziglar


  6. Thanks Valarie! But when you come next month, you may have to explain the second quote to me. I am still scratching my head on that one. Can't wait to see all three of you next month :).