.

GOING TO HELL!

If you've ever opened the drawer of a nightstand in a hotel, you probably have noticed that there is a bible in there. When we bought the inn 8 years ago, all the nightstands came complete with these bibles. I knew the previous owner was religious so I just assumed that she put them in there. Not wanting to go to hell, I left them there, of course. A couple of years later, a man entered the lobby explaining to me that he was the official "bible guy" in the area. He was here to check and replace worn out bibles that were in the room.

Ohhhh, ok, so that's how they got in there. Every few years this bible guy comes and checks their condition. Complete with hundreds of new bibles in the trunk of his car, he goes hotel to hotel. I can't imagine the person that actually turns this guy down. Having gone to Catholic school as a child, I could only imagine going straight to hell. 

Which brings me to this morning. A very friendly gentlemen walked into the lobby asking about our place. After about 5 minutes of conversation, he pulled out a pamphlet. Ohhhh, of course! This is why you are here. As he hands me the pamphlet, he says, "I'd like to invite you to our group, although I know that most people will never come." I felt a little sorry about that, and I didn't even know what it was yet. He thanks me for my time and bids me a good day. I glance down at the cover, "Would you like to wake up every morning with happy, positive thoughts?" Well, yes I would, thank you! Where do I sign up? Turning the pamphlet over, I see the words Jehovah's Witness. Ohhh. Ok. I'm not really interested, so I toss the paper into the garbage. 

Maybe I should have checked that this guy was gone. He walks back into the lobby half a minute later to say, "Can I have that pamphlet back for a moment, I'd like to write our number down on it." Note to self, make sure Jehovah's Witness guy is gone before tossing literature. The heat that came over my body as I was scrambling for excuses made my menapause hot flashes feel like I was skiing in the Alps eating a York Peppermint Patty. I awkwardly glanced over to the garbage where it sat on top, and as my mind searched for possible responses, I said quickly, "My son took it in the other room, can you just write the number on this paper?" pushing the garbage slowly out of sight with my foot.

Just when I thought I was covered - with the 12 bibles on my property.
Yes, I am going to hell!





2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    send him to my place. joe


  2. Jean Says:

    Way to go Tina -- quick thinking!!