.

"What a Drag It Is Getting Old!"

Even though this weekend was another festival filled weekend, we decided to pass on the annual Cooperstown Pumpkinfest and stick around the inn. We had lots to do and almost procrastinated by asking each other on an hourly basis, "Want to take a ride over and see what's going on?" I think the time it turned into, "We're not going to make it this year, are we?" was about 2 pm on Sunday. That's ok, there is always next year to see the 1500 lb. pumpkins.

Later in the day on Sunday, George left for his sister's, where he is doing some work for her all week. Hmmm, but that means he will miss an important holiday in our household. The annual, "I can't believe I'm not 18 anymore! How did I get this old! Day!" Tomorrow I turn "One Year Away From 50." That is how I will look at my age for the next year. It was about 8 months ago when the AARP started sending me their unsolicited junkmail. Wait, wait, what, no, I'm too young for this! So far, I have two of their cards in the landfill in Cooperstown. I refuse to accept that I am anywhere old enough to be retired. I also refuse to accept that I have a child in high school, but he keeps reminding me of that on a daily basis! He also took great pleasure in telling me what he learned in school last week. As I was helping Aidan study for his Career and Financial Mgmt. class, I learned that the ages 25-45 are the "Establishment Stage." I am in what is called the "Maintenance Stage." Just shoot me!!

So what to do for this wonderous day tomorrow?? When George is out of town, Aidan and I like to go to the movies and have dinner at the Japanese Restaurant in the big city.....Oneonta! Yep, the home of the Southside Hall, I mean Mall. Living in upstate NY, you get used to shopping at Walmart, BJ's..... or online! Yesterday, one of our guests asked if we had a Borders Bookstore nearby. Really??? Did you not drive around the area and see mostly cows and trees and barns? If you are in the market for a variety of baseball t-shirts, you're in luck! So tomorrow, off we go to the movies at the Southside Mall, where the two anchor stores on each side of the Hall/Mall are JC Penney's (annex/not even a full size store) and the other side - nothing! Yep, the second big anchor store has been empty ever since we moved up here. (Ahhh, how I miss NJ and the land of shopping.) And to put salt on the wounds of my big day, Aidan wants to see a movie called Buried! Really? There has got to be a happy movie that doesn't remind me of the fact that I am 4 years into my "Maintenance Stage"!

Well, Happy Denial Day to me... and to everyone else, have a wonderful week!
11 Responses
  1. Debbie Says:

    Well Happy Birthday to You Tina!! Sure wish we could be there to help you celebrate. Don't worry next year, the really big one, we are going to have a blast!! Hopefully we will be able to stay up past 10!! Welcome to the 49ers club!! Love You! xoxo


  2. Thanks Debbie, but celebrate really isn't the word :)! Looking forward to our girls weekend for our 50th! But really, shouldn't we do that every year? Love you too!


  3. Valarie Says:

    Ah, that's right. We got to be part of your birthday dinner celebration last year. Eight of us sitting around the table having a great time. The best part for me was when you snuck me upstairs to see the haunted rooms. Happy "Maintenance Stage". Sounds like a formula for cat food!

    Seriously Happy Birthday!


  4. Valarie,
    Thanks so much! And just to clarify - those haunted rooms were at the local restaurant, not the Meadowlark. Don't want any of those Ghost Hunter people showing up at my door :)!
    Hope to see you guys soon!


  5. Luna Says:

    Hi, Tina! Sorry I missed you guys this year. Hope all is well with you and your family.

    Just so you know, you look fabulous! It's only a number. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday!!! Have a great night out...:)


  6. Thanks Jamie, I was actually just thinking about you a couple of weeks ago and realized you hadn't made your annual trip. Hope all is going well with you too.
    Hopefully we will see you soon,
    Take care,
    Tina


  7. Jean Says:

    Tina Dear,

    Didn't you know that AARP stands for Adorable And Really Pretty -- in your case anyway. Have a VERY happy day and remember, you have the fabulous 60's to look forward to in ten or so years, when you too can be a "Senior Gone Wild."

    Love you,

    Jean


  8. Awwww Jean, Thanks! I feel so much better now. I thought it had something to do with aging! Now I feel stupid. Ahhh, the 60's, don't rush me! I still have 363 more days to be in my 40's!
    Love you!


  9. Unknown Says:

    happy i'm not 18 anymore day! dropping in from the sits group :)


  10. Jenn Says:

    Happy Birthday!

    I don't celebrate birthdays any more - I celebrate the anniversary of my 29th birthday, because despite what my body thinks, my brain thinks i'm 29.

    Just popping in from the Sits group!


  11. I love that Jenn, the anniversary of my 29th birthday! I'm gonna use it :)!