.

George and Tina, We Aim to Please, and Please, and Please Some More!!

I debated on even writing about this one. I worried that at some point in all of this, maybe I would end up sounding like a complainer. But I see it not as complaining, more like storytelling! So, a few days ago this lovely couple arrives at the inn. Checking in for a few days, they seemed to like it here immediately. And I liked them immediately too. They brought their things to their room and were back in the lobby licketey split. "Oh they loved it here! It's just lovely!" "Did I have any ideas for them for dinner for their two nights?" After discussing all the possibilities, we decided on two places that I would make them reservations at. A few minutes later, they came back in and wanted to see menus so that they could decide on what they wanted before they arrived at the restaurants. Ok, check. Dinner reservations and menus, done.

Then a couple minutes later they came back in and needed a luggage rack. All the rooms have luggage racks in them, but what happened to the one in their room? Gone. Ok, don't know what happened to it and we're not exactly in an area where I can run out and buy a new one. "Well, what are we going to do?? We can't possibly put our luggage on the floor?" I'll find something, a chair, something for you to use. When I arrived at their room, they already had their luggage on one of the 5 chairs that were in their room. Luggage, check, all taken care of.

A few minutes later, they were calling me from the lobby, "Tina, Tina", they couldn't get their remote control to work. Battery check, they're fine, reprogramming needed, maybe. I told them I would take care of it while they were at dinner. "Do you have any ice?" Of course! A little while later they came in, "We're off to dinner." Great, have fun! The next morning at breakfast they came in to find all the tables taken. "Where are we supposed to sit?? Can you get an extra table and chairs?" Why, of course, and can you wait a couple of minutes while I build an addition to put them in too? Another lovely couple overheard them and asked them to join them at their table where there where two extra chairs. "Oh that would be lovely!" A couple of minutes go by. "Do you have any plain oatmeal? There only seems to be oatmeal with fruit." I am sorry but we only have what is out. How did I know that of all the 58 things we have to choose from at breakfast, she would want the one thing that we didn't have! A few minutes later, "Can you check the times for the art museum for us?" Why of course. I would love to.

After breakfast they left the inn for a while. Now, this evening, I have already made reservations at a restaurant for them. All taken care of. But they passed by a different restaurant and looked at the menu (a restaurant that I told them not to go to because it was wayyyyy to pricey for what you get). They came into the lobby and wanted to discuss this restaurant and why I thought they could charge those prices and could they see the menu for the restaurant that I am sending them to tonight to make sure it wasn't the same as this expensive one. I told them that they had already looked at the menu last night and had already decided on what they were going to order last night and that they thought it was fine. No, they wanted to see it again. Sure, of course. After a few more questions and requests that day, they were off to their dinner and opera.

This morning at check out they told my husband that they had a small problem with their room that they wanted him to be aware of. George said, why didn't you tell us about this during the weekend, we could have fixed it for you immediately. "Well, we would have, but no one was around all weekend." Wait, wait, what!!! You mean during the 147 times you came in and asked for things, we weren't around! Really! That's ok, maybe we can do a better job serving them next time. They'll be back. They've already made reservations for next year and will possibly be back in the fall. Because.... "our inn is so lovely!" At least this will give us a chance to redeem ourselves and be "more around" for them. Perhaps they came in while we were in the bathroom, or sleeping, and needed something. We will be sure to do a better job next time! Because.... we aim to please!!!
13 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Dear Tina (and George)
    I am actually responding to your past few posts. First, next time I come I want glutin for breakfast, then I want my room to be double booked (with George Clooney as my roomie) and last, I must confess, I took all the luggage racks, so please replace them - I think you both are amazing - and I thought we were the only ones you had to put up with.
    Love,
    Marcia


  2. Hahaha! Oh Marcia, you are too funny! Please bring back the luggage racks when you return. I thought it looked a little bulky under your sweater when you left last time! I have put in the notes for "extra" gluten when you come back, and don't worry, we are working on a new policy of booking both beds separately in each room to double our money. I'll make sure whoever he is, he is cute for you!
    Love ya!
    Tina


  3. Anonymous Says:

    True patience - bless you.
    I think I saw Marcia making off with the luggage racks. Your floors are so clean - who cares if you put your bags on them !! We were just in a very nice place - but it needed a new vacuumn that would be able to get UNDER the dresser. Months and months of dust piled up.
    We could tell you some stories - but bees in the marmalade is my favorite. Perhaps these folks might like some on a toasted english !!
    Alice


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Dear Tina and Alice,
    First - thank you Tina for thinking the bulk was just a stolen luggage rack (I'll bring it back, I promise). Second, shame on you Alice for ratting me out. But I love you both anyway.
    Love,
    Marcia


  5. Jean Says:

    Dear Tina,

    You definitely are a saint!!! And Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasha -- We really thought you had quite a rack, but now the secret it out!!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Dear Tina,
    What was I thinking? Never mind George Clooney for my roomie - How about George Macaluso?
    Your blog said "you aim to please......"
    Love Marcia


  7. Valarie Says:

    Tina, I don't know which is funnier--your always amusing retelling of the "classic pain in the butt guest" or your faithful friends reply to your post. This one is hilarious.
    ;) Valarie


  8. Thanks, Valarie. I know, they are funny, aren't they! You should be up here when they are all here, they are a riot! And Marcia, calm down! You can't have George! We are not that pleasing here at the Meadowlark!


  9. Anonymous Says:

    Dear Tina,
    Well - if I can't have George then neither can Phil.
    Now try to explain that to your faithful followers.
    I love you guys
    Marcia


  10. Oh no, Marcia, no one can come between George and Phil's love! That is special :)!


  11. Jean Says:

    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasha -- you hussey!!!


  12. Valarie Says:

    We haven't heard from you in over a month. Does this mean all our "innies" are behaving themselves?


  13. Valarie,
    You're funny! Yes, fortunately/unfortunately we have had really nice guests and I haven't had any inspiration to write. I thought about writing about the things that other innkeepers write about - you know, breakfast, the gardens, etc., but wow, how boring would that be! One of our guest checked in this weekend and was funny. He said he reads my blog and will make sure he behaves. His friend walked in and promptly pretended to put his gum under the table. It was too funny. I said, please don't behave, I need something to write about. I did find some things to write about regardless of how nice everyone was!