.

Facebook - The Ultimate Time Stealer/Friend Maker

A year ago if someone asked me how many "friends" I had, I would have a different answer than I do today. With the popularity of Facebook, people have more friends than they ever could have imagined. Some real friends, some new friends, some old friends, and some acquaintances, Facebook is the new time stealer for all ages. Here you can look up people you knew many lifetimes ago and reconnect. I have reconnected with people that I haven't talked to in many years. I recently became Facebook "friends" with a past classmate of mine. Wanting to take his wife somewhere for their 20th anniversary, he decided on The Meadowlark. So this past weekend, they checked in. I never really knew Scott in high school in NJ, and his wife, Valarie, was from Vermont, but when they checked in, it seemed as if we had all been friends for a long time. Thanks to Facebook, I had seen pictures of their son, their wedding, their life. For the past few days, George and I spent quite a bit of time with them. (Yes, and some of that time was wasted on going on Facebook together :). ) We enjoyed having them as our guests and we enjoyed having them as new friends, not just Facebook friends. Check out their website: Heavenly Honey Apiary. A very interesting hobby/business, these beekeepers make the best honey ever.

Along with Scott, I have over 100 other "friends". Now normally that would seem like a lot of friends, but in Facebook land, that is pretty low. Most of my "friends" have hundreds of friends and some of my "friends" have thousands of friends. Thousands. Who are all these friends?? Thousands, really? One of my "friends" has almost 3,000 friends. Who needs or wants 3,000 friends?? Maybe I'm just being unfriendly! It is just crazy. About a year ago, Facebook was reserved for the young. But now more and more older people are joining in. Even my mother-in-law and father-in-law have pages. Some people refuse to join in, I call them closet Facebookers. The ones that will not have a page, but go on someone else's to look around. My husband used to be in the closet. He'd go on my page and talk to friends. He would sign his name, but his words would be next to my photo. One day I made him his own page, put up his photos and friended people for him. 20 minutes later, he was an official Facebooker, and now 3 months later, hours of time have been robbed out of his life reconnecting with his many new "friends". Still others refuse to ever get a page. Yes, you know who you are, (Cheryl), and we know you are out there watching us.

It may be the mother of all time wasters, but talk to anyone and they will tell you the same thing. It's fun, and it gives us the chance to reconnect with old friends and make new ones. Only through Facebook would Scott & Valarie, beekeepers from Vermont, end up at an inn outside Cooperstown that was run by an old classmate. And that is very cool!
6 Responses
  1. Jean Says:

    Yes, very cool on the bee people and finding old friends. With regard to George and Facebook -- well, we know how much fun he's having don't we!!!

    Tina -- I just love your blog -- you can write a book!!!


  2. Thanks Jean, I will send you an autographed copy when it is written :)! Looking forward to seeing you!!!


  3. Luna Says:

    Facebook IS addicting! Lol...I can't imagine having more friends than I do. I've noticed that some people just collect friends. I'm one of those that hides people except for my closest friends. Oh, and my husband is one of those that refuses to join. We'll see.

    Glad you've been able to reconnect with old friends and classmates. Enjoy!


  4. Jamie, Well if he uses YOUR Facebook, then just make him his own like I did for George. The last straw was when he was on there talking to his buddies about xbox and how he and my son play Nazi Zombies. Then I see it under my posts with my picture going out to all my "friends". What mom plays that stuff with their son? It looked weird.


  5. Luna Says:

    Lol...I'm not into the new video games either. I do like the Wii. I'm kind of old school with the Nintendo and Atari. Plus I'm not coordinated enough to keep up!

    Yeah, Corey doesn't even go on Facebook. One day, I'm sure.

    Hope all is well with you and the family!


  6. Nintendo and Atari? Are you even old enough? George had that back in the early 80's. Last year Aidan found his old games, plugged them into the TV and had a blast. It was hilarious to watch them play pong when the games they play now look as if you are actually in the game murdering aliens with realistic graphics. Gross!